Best Axe Sharpening Stone Reviews-2019
Axes are nothing without the best axe sharpening stone. If you love outdoor stuff and more into adventures then, you probably carry an axe with you. Whether it is for chopping wood for making a fire or cutting a tress, there is nothing compared to a sharp axe.
However, just like any other blade axes need to sharpen as well and you need the sharpener that sharpens the best. This is because; there is nothing as annoying as a dull and weary blade. Thankfully, now you do not need to stores for buying a new one or sharpening the old blade. You can now do it at home with a stone and files sharpener.
If you have never sharpened an axe before then there are few things you might consider while buying a stoner from this sharpener best review. Unlike the blades of the knife, you bring the stone sharpener to the axe. This means that you need to work with the stone to sharpen the axe keeping it in a fixed position rather than pulling it through the sharpener. Yes, this is a bit tricky.
This is the reason; you need to buy the best axe sharpening stone to assure that your blade is nice and sharp.
Here are the top 7 best axe sharpening stone is easy to carry, versatile and affordable.
Best Axe Sharpening Stone and Reviews
1. Dual Grit Multi-Purpose Sharpener- Blade & Tool Sharpener
This one is one of the best sharpening stone by Lansky. As it looks like the hockey puck, it is named Lansky puck. The centre of this stone is fine material while the edge is rough. It allows versatile sharpening experience. Whether you are using it in camp or home, this is a great tool. Read more
- Compact design and small in size
- Comes with the combination of two types of stones
- Multi-grade stone allows in versatile sharpening
2. Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas TRI-HONE Sharpening Stones
The Smith’s TRI-6 Arkansas is everything you need right now. Wondering why? This features three stones such as one natural fine, one medium synthetic and one coarse synthetic altogether. The grits of the stones are 1000, 600 and 220 respectively. All these three stones are mounted on a plastic triangle along with handles for easy sharpening and rotation. Read more
- 1 coarse synthetic stone and 2 Arkansas stones
- All the tree stones are mounted safely on the rotating plastic triangle
- Made especially for the easy rotation and identification
- It has molded plastic base along with the Nonskid rubber feet for the safety of the user
- The guide for sharpening angle ensures a correct angle
3. Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpening Stone:
Looking for an award-winning stone sharpener that sharpens the best? If yes, then your wait is over. Let us introduce, you to the Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpening Stone. This is one of a kind and one of the best in the market right now. This sharpening stone is made from best quality material to give you the best user experience. Read more
- This comes with two-sided premium quality whetstone along with a bamboo base for providing a strong base to the stone
- This sharpener stone is long-lasting and versatile as it can sharpen any blade such as hunting knife, axe, pocket knife, scissors, razor, and sharpeners etc.
- It ensures the safety of the user as it has a non-slip Bamboo base for holding the stone in place and a silicon base for holding stone inside
- This sharpening stone is very user-friendly and easy to carry
4. Bora 501057 Fine/Coarse Combination Sharpening Stone
It is quite hard to find the best sharpening stone that will last long. Therefore, you need to be careful while buying. Our sharpener best review will be incomplete without the Bora 501057 Fine/Coarse Combination Sharpening Stone. This is not just very user-friendly but durable as well. This blade sharpener from Bora was a holy grail. Read more
- This is a 6-inches long aluminium oxide sharpening stone
- The stone has one coarse grit and one fine grit
- The size of the stone makes it great for bench work
- This has been made for sharpening all types of knives and tools
- This comes with a warranty of 1 year
5. Smith’s 50582 Axe and Machete Sharpener
The hatchet sharpener from Smith’s is truly amazing. It is hard to find a good blade sharpener that will fulfil your needs. If you want to purchase a great sharpener at an affordable price, then, Smith’s 50582 Axe and Machete Sharpener is the one for you. This does not only have a great price but very useful as well. Smith is a trusted name in this industry for 125 years. Throughout this journey of 125 years, Smith has come up with quality products for the customers. Read more
- Sharps the dull and weary hatchets, axes and machete very quickly
- Durable and plastic head for easy sharpening
- It can be used by anyone
- The oversized handles are for using it with gloves
- Comes with a larger safety guard
- It has a replaceable carbide blade
- Made of durable aluminium
6. Gransfors Bruks Ceramic Grinding/Sharpening Stone
We have seen people struggle to buy the best axe sharpening stone. Most of them end up buying one that does not last long and has limited usage. If you want your stone sharpener to make your camping days easy and fun then, Gransfors Bruks Ceramic Grinding/Sharpening Stone GB 4034 is the one for you. This can be used for sharpening spades, chopping tools, lawnmower blades, shovels, machetes, and axe blades etc. Read more
- Ceramic stone
- It can be used without or with water
- Comes with both fine and coarse side
7. Norton Abrasive-Gobain 85316 Axe and Hatchet Stone
Norton is one of the most famous brands worldwide. They are one of the best manufacturers of machine-made files. Their product line is celebrated along with the professionals. Their product includes high-quality handsaws, files, and rasps. The Norton Abrasives- St. Gobain 85316 Axe and Hatchet Stone is the one that can help you to sharpen your axe blade effectively. According to the professional campers, this stone from Norton is the best fir for outdoorsy stuff. Read more
- This is manufactured in the United States
- This is used for sharpening stones, tools and hand tools organizers
- Made with premium quality materials
- Weight is 1 pound
- Made especially for outdoor usage
- The stone complete flat
- Two grits stone, one is 400 and other is 1000 grits
How to choose the best axe sharpening stone?
The stone itself is very simple but there are a few important things that you need to consider before purchasing it. Here are the things that you need to consider while buying the best axe sharpening stone.
Size: Yes, size does matter in case of choosing the best axe sharpening stone. When you are choosing the sharpening tool make sure that it is larger in size. Large stone works best when you are running it over the blade. However, if you are using the stone during camps or outdoor adventures, then you can buy smaller ones. Those are easy to carry and will fit in the luggage easily.
Material: When it comes to the best axe sharpening stone, you need to choose the material carefully. Stone is the best among the other types of material. Go for hard and extra-fine ones if you want your axe to be razor-sharp or else, the hard and fine ones are good too.
Versatility: When it comes to sharpening the blade, most people look for sharpening tool that can sharpen different types of blades such as knives, axes etc. So, while buying make sure you can use it for other purposes as well.
How we made this list?
Now let’s look at some of the best stones available in the market. It was not easy to come up with the top 7 sharpening stones. Therefore, we consulted with professional axe users and then, tested it ourselves.
When choosing the best axe sharpening stone, most of the professionals like to use the models that work in hand or on a flat surface. This is because; you can sharpen your knives and other blades with this stone sharpener.
That being said, the best in this list is the Lansky Puck- Dual Grit Multi-Purpose Sharpener- Blade & Tool Sharpener. If you are looking for something more hardcore then, go for the Sharp Pebble Premium Whetstone Knife Sharpening Stone. These two are within your budget and very easy to carry as well. Or, you can pick anyone from the above list that fulfils your needs. All of these 7 are great for both indoor and outdoor uses.