THE BEST HATCHET REVIEW AND BUYING GUIDE 2019
Like to go on a regular trip for hunting, camping, hiking? Then you already know how important to have a hatchet or axe with you on your trip. You don’t want to have the best hatchet with better performance?
Well, you’ll get a lot of options while searching for the best hatchet. But, it won’t be wise to go with any regular one. There are some facts which you should take care of before choosing a hatchet.
Here, I’m going to share how to choose the right hatchet for the right job. Also, I’m going to help you with some best-chosen hatchets and their reviews. Hope this guide can help you take the right decision.
Some of the Best Hatchets list with Their Specifications
Here are seven of the best hatchets that you can buy for a great performance. Go through their specification, pros, and cons. Then you decide which one is perfect for your need.
1. Fiskars X7 Hatchet 14 Inch, 378501-1002
Want the best hatchet in our budget? You can go for the Fiskars brand and its 14 inch X7 Hatchet model. Believe it or not. You’re going to love this hatchet. Just give it a try. Its great cutting power and strength won’t disappoint you.
What Makes It Special?
Fiskars X7 Hatchet comes with a traditional design and amazing features with high technology. Like other traditional hatchets, it has a wooden handle. But this traditional handle comes with additional and high-tech built-in features.
Its fiber-comp handle provides with a non-slip grip. Not only that, there are more. The fiber-comp handle also comes with a vibration absorbing chamber.
- Comes with a proprietary blade-grinding technique.
- Offers proper weight distribution.
- Keeps a perfect balance with the power to weight ratio.
- Comes with inseparable insert-moulded heads.
- Offers sharper edge.
- Includes low-friction coating.
- Perfect for chopping kindling and logs from small to medium size.
- A single swing can chop deeper.
- Virtually Unbreakable.
- Higher swing speed.
- More Powerful
- Stronger than steel.
- Superior Blade Design.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Not the best for large logs.
2. Estwing Sportsman's Axe - 14" Camping Hatchet
You can surely choose Estwing Sportsman’s Axe as it’s the perfect choice for the outdoorsmen anywhere and anytime.
Estwing has been making outdoor tools for more than 90 years. They provide you with world famous Sportsman’s camping hatchet with passion and exclusive design. It could be your favourite too.
What Makes It Special?
The most special feature that makes this outstanding hatchet different from other axes is its polished neck and head. This is not a regular simple polish. It’s hand polished and also hand-sharpened.
The full metal construction of this hatchet makes it rough and tough. It comes with the capability of transferring your strength to the handle and making the teeth move faster.
- Crafted using a single piece of 1055 carbon steel.
- Enables long time edge holding.
- Comes with a wrapped handle with leather rings.
- Provides with satisfying leather grips.
- Protects from hand sharpened cutting edge provided with a ballistic nylon sheath.
- Offers comfortable, durable, and long-lasting usage with a hand lacquered and sanded.
- Amazing at kindling, splitting firewood, and chopping branches, small longs, and trees.
- Greater longevity.
- No fatigue.
- Outstanding design.
- Heavy duty hatchet.
- Safe with additional protection.
- To keep safe from rusting you have to oil the blade regularly in a routine wise.
3. Schrade SCAXE10 11.1in Full Tang Hatchet
Looking for such as the best hatchet that will easily survive against any type of wilderness? Then your choice should be the same as most of the survivalists and enthusiasts.
Here comes the amazing survival Schrade SCAXE10 11.1in Full Tang Hatchet. Within a very short time, this new hatchet model has made a huge fan list with its wonderful features.
What Makes It Special?
The stainless steel construction makes the survival hatchet stand out of the crowd. That’s the reason behind the two-tone. And, of course, you can’t ignore the bottom of the handle that comes with a lanyard and a belt sheath. Altogether, it’s a complete package to survive the wilderness with flexibility.
- Provides with an 11. 1-inch long body with a 3.6-inch long blade.
- Offers amazingly balanced weight to power ratio while swinging.
- Comes with a durable handle wrapped with black ergonomic TRP rubber.
- Features a complete tang design with a hammer replaceable pommel.
- Comes with 3Cr13 stainless steel powder coating.
- Offers less chipping because of the stainless steel blade.
- Easily and quickly accessible.
- Highly maneuverable.
- Highly comfortable to use and handle.
- Weighs only 1lbs.
- Sharpening the blade might be a little tougher
4. Estwing Tomahawk Axe - 16.25" Lightweight Hatchet
Here comes another outstanding hatchet model from the Estwing family. You already know the Estwing always provides you with the perfect professional military and sportsmen axes.
Since 1923, they have been producing such tools in the USA. That’s why you can trust them with your closed eyes. Here we’re going to talk about another model of their hatchets named Tomahawk Axe.
Looking for a heavy duty bush-craft? Then this is exactly what that you want.
What Does It Make Special?
The best part you’re going to love of this Tomahawk Axe by Estwing is it’s almost impossible to break. That’s why it lasts long without any trouble and provides its best performance as usual. This can be the best deal in case of a small budget.
- Offers a lifetime hard-working performance with great strength.
- Comes with ballistic nylon sheath and hand sharpened cutting edge protection.
- Reduces 70% vibration using patented shock reduction grip.
- Offers a great full tang design.
- Comes with a warranty though limited.
- Ideal for chopping branches and small trees.
- Super comfortable.
- Great rust resistance.
- Smoothly deals with excavation, breaching, and extrication.
- Highly durable and strong 1055 forged steel.
- Absolutely lightweight with just 0.4 lbs.
- Very easy to handle while swinging.
- Sometimes the blade requires a little touch up out of the box.
5. Gerber Bear Grylls Survival Hatchet
Gerber Bear Grylls, the ultimate best survival hatchet at a very reasonable price and a small size. Don’t judge its power by its size. It’s way more powerful and efficient than it looks. Also, it allows you to use and control it even more precisely with its choking finger notches.
What Makes It Special?
It’s a Bear Grylls survival hatchet. So, without any doubt, it has to be special and different from other regular hatchet or axe. No matter how worse the weather can be, it’s going to amaze you with its unbelievable capability.
You can come up with a quick shelter with this powerful tiny hatchet. Moreover, regardless of the camp duties like pounding tent stakes, tenderizing meat, or straightening bent backpack stays, everything is possible for this best hatchet.
And all these are because of a crosshatched striking surface back of its head, just opposite the blade.
- Comes with a 3.5-inch sharp blade.
- Constructed with high carbon 3Cr13MoVsteel and full tang design.
- Provides with a constant non-slip grip in all situation with a PolypropyleneRubber handle.
- Offers extra safety protection by providing with a lanyard at the bottom of the handle.
- Comes with a mildew-resistant and military-grade nylon sheath along with strapping belt loops.
- Very lightweight weighs like 1.4 pounds.
- Easily limbs saplings and splits logs equally.
- Comes with “Priorities of Survival”, a Bear Grylls pocket guide for ultimate survival.
- Highly comfortable and easy to use and handle.
- Blade denting.
6.IUNIO Camping Axe Multi-Tool Hatchet Survival Kit Tactical Tomahawk
Hunters, campers, survivalists, hikers, gardeners; no matter who you are this into camping axe can be the best choice for any outdoor enthusiasts.
It’s a sturdy multifunctional hatchet made of steel and sharp blade. With a great performance, it’s going to make you fall in love with it.
What Makes It Special?
This amazing multifunctional iunno camping axe comes with a bar that you can extend when required. Hence, you can frequently adjust its handle length according to your necessity.
This is the special feature that makes is stand out of the crowd. And, certainly, this versatile folding axe is a perfect tool in an emergency for hiking, camping, and hunting.
- Offers high security under any circumstances the lifesaving safety glass breaker or hammer.
- Helps to make an easy fire while at an outdoor adventure with magnesium made a fire starter.
- Comes with Aluminum alloy-made handle.
- Guides you the correct direction with a compass.
- Provides with a whistle to alert or draw attention in an emergency.
- Ideal for cutting, chopping, trimming, curving, and splitting.
- Comes with accessories like a bottle opener, fisher scaler tool, hand rope, whistle, compass, and fire maker.
- Portable, easy to carry everywhere.
- 100% lifetime warranty.
- Little Heavy.
07. GransforsBruks Wildlife Hatchet 13.50 Inch, Axe, 415
You can also go with the GransforsBruks Wildlife Axe for an ultimate hatchet experience. It comes with excellent design and appreciable features.
Maintaining a perfect balance it provides you with outstanding performance. You can easily use it for a very long time just remember to clean and oil it regularly.
What Makes It Special?
With a top-notch steel quality, this hatchet comes with a longer and more powerful handle. You can easily carry the hatchet in the rucksack without cutting into it. It’s leather sheath will provide protection against the sharp edge.
- Provides with a 13.50-inch long body including the handle.
- Functions like traditional camping and scouting axe.
- Offers a wonderful sheath vegetable-tanned leather.
- Offers The Axe Book with every axe bought from GransforsBruk.
- Easily comes up with splitting small logs and lopping off large branches.
- Outstanding construction.
- Keeps maintaining perfect balance.
- Weighs just 1.3 lbs.
- A little tricky to use.
- Requires skill and proper knowledge.
- There might be a little chipping below the head.
Facts You Shouldn’t Ignore While Buying A Hatchet
The handle is the main part of a hatchet to make the perfect swing while cutting. That’s why choose such as axe that contains a durable, non-slip, and strong handle in the right direction. Make sure the handle has the capability of withstanding the cutting or chopping force.
Head & Hammer
Usually, a forged steel made head with a hammer shape is highly preferable for a better hatchet. It can help you in many ways while camping. Check the head or the hammerhead is strong enough and maintains a sufficient distance from the handle for the better performance.
Weight, Length & Balance
For a perfect swing, it’s very important to have a perfect balance between the length and weight of the handle and the head of the hatchet. Otherwise, you can’t swing your hatchet as required and the blade won’t go enough deeper with the required strength.
Blade & Sharpness
Without a sharp blade, an axe is good for nothing. It’s obvious that a newly bought hatchet will come with a sharpened blade. But it won’t last forever. That’s why you should know the lasting time of the blade-material sharpness. And, also how to sharpen the blade for further use.
It will be a great mistake if you invest in such a hatchet that doesn’t belong to a well-known band. Well, that even won’t be an investment but just a waste. No doubt that hatchets are very useful but you shouldn’t forget that they are dangerous too. That’s why the quality of the hatchet always matters. A well-branded hatchet will be more trustworthy regarding everything.
Warranty offer varies with the manufacturers. Some offer a lifetime warranty and some offer a limited one. So, before confirming the purchase make sure about the warranty system and its detail.
A perfect hatchet will definitely help you out to survive any unexpected situation on an outdoor adventure. That’s why to choose the right one for you. Don’t take any rash decision. Choose wisely. And, of course, don’t forget to go through proper maintenance on a regular basis. We recommend to you that if you want to know more about our best axe review and best camping axe review